Monday, December 17, 2018

Advent Calendars














Last weekend we celebrated Dean's sixth birthday with kindergarten boys dressed up as dragons, lots of legos, and doughnuts. Now it's time to embrace Winter/Christmas/Solstice. For at least the last two years (possibly three) I have been working on a felt embroidered advent calendar. I really wanted to hang it up but clearly wasn't motivated to finish it because holiday seasons kept passing with it still sitting in my craft drawer, waiting to be finished. To be honest, it still isn't fully finished. I still need to sew beads and sequins onto the ornaments. I gave myself a pass on that for this year. Who knows, maybe I'll get one or two done before the 24th. I spent most of Dec 2 working on it at our dining table. The kids were very interested in what I was doing and spent time sewing their own creations out of felt. Dean even made his own tiny advent calendar. I taught him how to use a needle threader and it was the best decision I made all day. He loved the "trick" of it and I loved not having to re-thread his needle all day long.

Last month I tried to buy an advent calendar for myself made by the talented knitter/crafter Alicia Paulson of Posie Gets Cozy. Her limited release items sell very quickly. I came home from a PTA meeting at the kids' school and told my husband how I was a few minutes late to the meeting because I was sitting in my car trying to buy this advent calendar on my phone, but the signal was weak and paypal wasn't connecting, and then when it did -three minutes after the sale had started- they were already sold out. I wasn't surprised. That's how it goes with her specialty items. Well, he listened, and earlier this week he presented me with a chalet-style cabin advent calendar that HE MADE for me. The advent calendar I had tried to buy was filled with things specifically for knitters, so he made this one knitting themed as well. See the balls of yarn on it? And the tiny knitting needles? He's so thoughtful. The sweetest. It's amazing. I am amazed. So far I've gotten an ornament, a knitting sticker, a skein of hand dyed merino wool, and cute owl stitch markers.  I feel very loved and appreciated. I still kind of can't believe it.

And the kittens? My mom brought that advent calendar over. How can anyone not love adorable kittens in Santa hats?

1 comment:

  1. Ohh that advent calendar made by your husband is truly beautiful!!! I didn't even tried to get the advent calendar from Alicia P. I'm in different time zone and always forget to pay attention but it seems that even if one pays attention one still may miss the sale. Hope your Christmas was great and wish you and family a great year in 2019!! Hope to see more of your crafts! :)

    ReplyDelete