Monday, August 4, 2014

an eventful weekend
















Right after my last blog post (about 7 weeks ago) we put an offer on a house. It was a complicated process. We backed out once, then were enticed back with an offer of adding a new gas furnace. It all felt so fragile - like it could fall through at any moment - and I felt like if I mentioned it on here it would definitely not happen. I guess I'm a bit superstitious. And of course the house was pretty much the only thing I could think about, so I didn't update this blog at all. But now I'm here to announce that last thursday we became homeowners! It is small, less than 1000 sq ft, and exactly what we were hoping for. Soon enough I'll start posting renovation photos, but I thought it would be nice to capture some of my favorite parts of our current home before we start packing and it turns into a mess. I'd post photos of the garden, but I stopped watering it a few weeks ago in anticipation of moving and now it's pretty much dead, except for some very determined tomatoes.

Since we are doing some serious downsizing, I've started to get ruthless about my possessions. I have moved my Domino and Blueprint magazine collections to multiple houses. I thought about selling them on ebay, but then realized that it would be so much better to cut them up and use them for decorating inspiration. The house we bought definitely needs some serious help in the aesthetics department. Once I got over feeling like I was ruining them I really enjoyed going back through them. Some of them are 10 years old and they're still so good. Now I just have to find the time to make the inspiration boards for each room. We'll see...

So thursday we got the keys to our new house, and friday my 20 year high school reunion weekend started. I went to my 10th, which was fun, but this one was really great. I don't live in the same town that I grew up in, but I'm only a thirty minute drive away. I've consistently kept in touch with only one friend from high school, Courtney (who has a new book coming out this month!), so I knew I was going to see a lot of faces from the past. It was so wonderful to reconnect with people that I hadn't seen in so long. There was a handful of us that had known each other since kindergarten! Most of us had drifted apart by the time we were in high school, but it was so nice to see them again and think about how we were the ages our children are now when we met way back then. It was also really interesting to catch up with people that I always wanted to know more but never got the chance to. High school is a funny place. It was so great to be surrounded by everyone and feel such warmth and happiness. I'm actually sad the weekend is over. I didn't expect to feel this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment