Friday, September 5, 2014

Settling In









Oh September, I've been looking forward to you for a few months. I knew that once we turned the calendar over we would be on the other side of packing and moving. Of course we still aren't fully settled in, but everything really is starting to come together in our new house.

The first few days were really rough. We were practically camping in our house. As it tends to go with home renovation, the sink and countertops took longer to acquire so we moved into a house without a kitchen. We made do with the utility sink in the garage, but had a harder time dealing with a surprising complete lack of hot water. As my friend Patrick likes to say, we were being introduced to the joys of 'home-moaner-ship.' Two days after we moved in was my birthday. I was thrilled to get to take a hot shower that morning and escape out with my friend for drinks and dinner that night. I wouldn't recommend having a birthday two days after moving. Moving really overshadows everything else. As I was unpacking I found a sweet book my aunt had given to me for my birthday thirty years ago. I can't believe I am old enough to remember anything from thirty years ago.

The following weekend my husband picked up the remaining kitchen pieces and put it together. It is gorgeous! Seriously. On Monday night I made dinner for the first time in almost two weeks. We were all so glad to be finished with take out and restaurants. There really is nothing like a home cooked meal.

I already love living in this house and know it is just going to get better as we get more settled in. I was a bit worried that moving to a substantially smaller house would be a big adjustment, but really I find living here easier. I don't have to run down a flight of stairs to put in a load of laundry or take the garbage out anymore. I can always hear the kids so keeping track of them is easier too. The bathroom is tiny and quick to clean. And once I find the hardwood attachment for the vacuum I think the rest of the house will clean up fast as well. Once we get a bit more organized I'll take some proper photos of the house, especially the floor and the kitchen.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Finding a book given to you 30 years ago while you were unpacking is like finding a treasure. I love the dedication your aunt left for you. Anyway, your new place is wonderful. I'm sure you've settled in by now. I hope everyone's enjoying their brand new adventure. Keep us posted. All the best! :)

    Clay Delgado @ World Packaging Co., Inc.

    ReplyDelete