Friday, April 14, 2017

Daffodils, Tulips, and Doughnuts




















Last week Gianna turned seven. The week before I went to the fabric store looking to buy a skirt pattern. I came home with a dress pattern (Ellie Mae Designs, K147) and found myself cursing that decision as I realized how much more work a whole dress - with sleeves, pockets, and buttonholes - can be. I sewed the buttons on at 11 the night before her birthday so she could wear it to school the next morning. She told me it was her favorite gift; "Mom, I knew you were making me something, but this is more amazing than I imagined!" The following weekend we hosted a party for her, 10 of her little friends and their parents. One parent remarked that we should write a book on throwing children's birthday parties. It was a lot of work and a lot of fun. We made pizza & mimosas, stuffed a piƱata & stacked store bought doughnuts. Vincent is amazing and wrote up and hid 10 treasure hunt clues around the house and yard. Another parent commented that our house really felt like a home, which made me really happy. I love the saying "Less house, more home" and have really taken it to heart.

As I was sewing, cooking, and tidying I listened to Who Thought This Was a Good Idea? by Alyssa Mastromonaco. It is about her time working for Barack Obama when he was in the Senate and in the White House. I enjoyed it thoroughly. I also listened to S-Town which was beautifully told and captivating. I finally finished listening to The Year of Yes and found it inspiring and motivating.

A year ago we started the process of redoing the front yard; building retaining walls, tearing out azaleas, planting perennials and burying bulbs. Now things are coming up and beginning to blossom and it is wonderful! A few plants died in the snow and a few others that I thought had died have come back! What a welcome treat it was to see the Bleeding Heart bigger and better than ever. Last year I was guessing a lot when I was buying plants. Now I know to get a few more Alyssum "Basket of Gold" and to plant more bulbs next fall. The anemones were up first and are still blooming. The squirrels dug up all of the crocus bulbs, so I know not to plant them again, sadly.

It has been quite rainy and still cold at night. This weekend is supposed to be warmer and dry. I hope to plant the veggie starts I started a few weeks ago into the ground. Dean is home sick with pink eye and a respiratory virus, so hopefully he'll feel good enough by Sunday to join me in the garden and do an easter egg hunt as well. Squirting ointment into his eyes 4 times per day for the next 7 days is torture for both of us. We both would benefit from some sun and digging in the dirt, I think.

2 comments:

  1. That birthday party sounds amazing. I find hosting children's pretty stressful and prefer to do something out of the house if we can, but you made yours sound like a lot of fun. Gianna's dress if beautiful. It's such hard work but always worth making something like that for our children. Good luck with the eye ointment. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday to your daughter! It sounds you did a great job with the party! It was rewarding to make the dress, she loved it!! It is a beautiful dress! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete