Tuesday, November 26, 2019

This and That











Earlier this month I took Gianna to The Portland Book Festival where we got to see a panel of some her favorite graphic novel author/illustrators. Despite standing in a long line to get in, another line to get a seat, and an even longer line to get books signed, we had a great time. We came home that night, told Dean all about it, and then both kids disappeared into their rooms to draw and write their own comics. The best!

On Friday we got a new front door! After living here for five years we finally got the house painted last summer. It has looked amazing, except for the old scratched up purple front door that we never liked. Now when I pull up to the house it all looks like it should. The only funny thing is that the previous door didn't have windows in it and now the light coming through catches my eye and instinctively I think the door is ajar. While the door installer was here I sorted through the kitchen cabinets, throwing out candy from last Christmas, and weeded out extraneous mugs. While sorting I found a baby tooth I had stashed one night in a cup after the tooth fairy came to visit. I'm crossing my fingers that I can figure out which kid it belongs too...

This week is Thanksgiving and the kids have the whole week off of school. Yesterday and today they had their parent/teacher conferences. Great reports for both of them! We ran some errands, chatted with a sweet elderly German woman in the grocery store check out line who encouraged us to visit her homeland, and went to visit a new bakery. It was glorious. We each picked something out. I chose a croissant stuffed with whipped cream and strawberries, dusted with powdered sugar. Gianna picked an almond croissant, Dean a pastry covered with raspberry jam, whipped cream and fresh raspberries. We were all very happy. And now we are home and I am cuddled under a blanket, ignoring all of the baking and cooking that is waiting for me in the kitchen. I've written up my Thanksgiving cooking schedule and I'm already behind by one pumpkin pie. Send reinforcements!

3 comments:

  1. You’ve got this! Can’t wait to see your feast- I’m doing the pumpkin pie with pecan sauce from smitten kitchen this year and hoping it’s a hit! ~ Sarah Eckhardt

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete